Math Magic Trick
Here's a really cool Math Magic Trick that kids can use to impress family and friends and build basic math skills too! You'll find lots of other math tricks here as well so have fun and learn some math along the way.
Materials: 5 dice
Performing the Trick:
- Tell the spectator that you can see through the dice all the way to the bottom numbers.
- Roll all 5 dice on table.
- Pretend that you are looking through the dice to see the bottom numbers. (What you are actually doing is adding up the top numbers of all 5 dice.)
- Then you will announce the sum of the bottom numbers. (All you have to do is subtract the sum of the numbers you added in your mind from the top from 35.)
- Then turn over the 5 dice and have the spectator add the numbers of top numbers. They will be amazed at how you did it!
How the Trick works:
On any die, the sum of the top number and the bottom number is 7. So for example, if you toss one die and the top number of the die is a 3, the number at the bottom of the die will be a 4, since 4 + 3 = 7.
So if you throw out 5 dice, the total of all the top and bottom numbers will be:
5 x 7 = 35
If you liked this math trick, you might also enjoy the math card tricks page. You can also check out the main math tricks section.
Go to main Math Tricks page
Return from Math Magic Trick to Learn With Math Games Home
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.