Card Math Games
So if you're trying to get a student to appreciate how fun and cool math is, try some card math games plus a bunch of other fun math stuff on this site. They won't think of math the same way again!
20 Sum Addition
Grade Level: 2nd - 4th
Materials: Deck of playing cards
How To Play:
a player to shuffle the deck and deal five cards to each player. Set
the remaining cards face down in the middle of the table
take turns. Let the dealer go first. On each turn, players look for
two or more cards that will add up to a sum of 20. (The other players should check to make sure the cards add to 20.)
- After placing the cards aside, they pick up cards from the face down pile to replace the number of cards they placed down.
a player does not find two or mare cards that add to 20, they draw one
card from the face down deck and place it face up next to their other
face up cards. Their turn then ends until the next round.
- Player take turns in the same way.
- The game ends when all of the cards in the face down pile are used up and players cannot find two or more cards that add to 20.
see who the winner is, each player counts the number of cards that are
in their 20-sum pile, then subtract the number of cards they still have
in their face up row.
Variations: You can use different sums instead of 20 and tailor the game to the level of the student.
"Greg The Math Games Guy"
Go to main Math Card Game page
Return from Card Math Games to Learn With Math Games Home
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.