Pi Day Math Ideas
What are you doing in math class to Celebrate Pi Day! The purpose of Pi Day is to show that math is fun, and also to promote math awareness! So we have an excellent opportunity to get students engaged with math, and give them a better understanding and appreciation for the concept of pi.
The Meaning of Pi
Pi is a ratio of a circle’s diameter (its width) and its circumference (the distance around the circle). Pi has been calculated to over 1 trillion digits past the decimal. Pi is an irrational number. Irrational numbers continue infinitely without repeating.
Pi Day Math Activity Ideas
Since pi is 3.14159..., some schools hold their celebrations on 3/14 at exactly 1:59 p.m.
- Pi Memory Contest: Give the students a couple a day or two to memorize pi out to as many decimal places as they can. Have each student recite or write pi out as far as hey can and see how students did.
- Making a Pi Necklace:by Diane Funke, 7th grade Math Teacher, Davisville Middle School, North Kingstown, RI
- Let Them Eat Pi: There are several ideas here that you can do with your class that involve eating pie. The students are always more than happy to learn some math when eating pie is involved.
- What is Pi - A Cool Lesson: All you need is some lids to jars of different sizes (five or six different sizes would be fine), string, scissors, rulers, calculators.
- Pi Rap Video: Yes that's right. Pi and rap music? Don't worry it's safe. And by the way your students will probably love it! Scroll down to video after clicking the link.
Here's some more interesting facts about pi.
50 Ideas and Activities for Pi Fun This is a great site with lots of ideas for ways to make (π) Day entertaining, educational, tasty, and fun. And the list will continue to grow.
How about sharing a pi activity that you will use to celebrate math in your math class.
Return from Pi Day to Classroom Math GamesGo to Middle School Math GamesGo to Learn With Math Games Home